Title and description liberally borrowed from Mark Twain's The Innocents Abroad.

11.06.2008

Clarification...

Just to clarify, I am of course very excited that Obama won although it is very unreal. I was only expressing sentiments that seem to be prevalent here (and, from what I hear, in the states) - that it is a great thing that Obama won but I guess I still have the sense that there is a lot of "underground" racism in the US and throughout the world. My host dad told me that there have been several assassination plots against Obama that have been foiled by the FBI. There is a palpable sense of optimism tempered with cynicism here, that Obama's election is a great thing and an incredible step for America, but I have also heard on more than one occasion that there is too much work to do and Obama won't be able to do it, that the messes are too big...although it seems to be unanimous that Obama was the better choice. The main topic of all conversation here - even between Jordanians - is the elections, and what this will mean for the entire world. Everyone understands that this election is probably the biggest thing to come our way in this lifetime, although it always seems to go along with comments about how happy Oprah was. I don't really get the obsession with Oprah here, but hey, what can you do. Anyway I don't want this to become a forum for seriousness and cynicism, it was only a comment made in passing but not a comment only I have made.
Props to Kenya for having a national holiday, too.

And now i might go cry a little bit, mom.

2 comments:

  1. And as someone else pointed out, he is the only candidate in American history against whom assassination attempts have been made. I really don't think this is complete cynicism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As mom said, George Wallace was actually shot during the campaign season. Also, my position is that it is transformative that the U.S. elected an African American as president. the rest is still the future.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete