Title and description liberally borrowed from Mark Twain's The Innocents Abroad.

9.14.2008

Halfway, almost

...through Ramadan. Spent the weekend in Irbid with my host family's extended family, which was overwhelming and interesting. Kind of like my family, only in Arabic, so now I know what it's like for guests at Farber family events. Coolest moment of the weekend was when I was doing some yoga (everyone needs a little me time) and for about 20 minutes during my sun salutations I could hear the call to prayer. Not to sound cliche, but it made the yoga almost spiritual and even more calming. It was a rough day, not being able to communicate well with everyone, and that reminded me why I am here, and that that wouldn't happen anywhere else in the world. It totally reaffirmed the reasons I came and made me really want to figure things out. The words will come, I just have to give it time...

No comments:

Post a Comment